Wednesday, September 8, 2010

September 8, 2010

School is in again and fall is in the air... I was in class again today, as well. The graduate program I am attending is primarily online, but we meet on campus in the fall for "intensives". It was great to see my classmates, several of whom I had not seen since meeting them for the first time last fall. At my regular job as a school nurse, I am actually the only healthcare person in the organization, so it was wonderful today to have the opportunity to spend time with other nurses.

For an assignment, I am to write this week on the value of prevention. Suprisingly (0r not) there are people who do not value the prevention of health problems. Some will say as much when they are asked, but for others, it's clear in their actions. For some, the efforts involved in prevention are not worth the risk of depriving themselves of a pleasure. I've had people with tobacco addiction attempt to justify the habit with, "we all have to die from something." My response is that is a true statement, of course, but I personally do not want to die a long, agonizing death where I feel like I can't get enough air for the last several years of my life. I honestly don't know anyone who wants that kind of a death. The most important part of being a nurse, for me, is optimizing wellness for myself and those with whom I work. Wellness prevents and/or ameliorates many health problems. Prevention of health problems is part of the journey of living well--optimizing wellness. It's all part of the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment